The New Education Forum Brussels closes this year’s set of regional meetings held around the European Union: Brussels online in January 2022, Edinburgh and Santander in February, Warsaw in May and Bielsko-Biała in October. The closing event will give opportunity to:
As part of the European Green Deal, the EU has set itself a binding target of achieving climate neutrality by 2050. The EU is working on the revision of its climate, energy and transport-related legislation under the so-called ‘Fit for 55 package’ in order to align current laws with the 2030 and 2050 ambitions. A number of new initiatives are also included in the package.
The Fit for 55 package set of new legislative proposals and amendments to existing EU legislation, will help the EU cut its net greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55% by 2030 compared to 1990. The key areas of this action include:
- greenhouse gas emissions from all economic sectors, including industry, transport, energy, agriculture and waste
- greenhouse gas removals by carbon sinks such as forests
- funding for a just transition
- renewable energy
- energy efficiency
- more alternative fuels and more charging stations for electric vehicles
- energy taxation
- a carbon border adjustment for certain imports
Such ambitious plans require educational efforts to guarantee their sustainability. Furthermore, the Fit for 55 package aims at reaching the EU’s climate objectives, of which one is to ensure a just and socially fair transition. Again, without wide and complex educational agenda this crucial goal may be impossible to reach.
In consequence, EU Member States as well as European institutions should seek support of educational key agents. Such structural change requires good cooperation between diverse stakeholders. An important tool to enhance learning processes is presented by the digital world. The recent Covid-19 pandemic has demonstrated the necessity of ICT competences. In addition, emerging new technologies of the European companies are seeking to capitalize on digitally skilled employees. To keep up with changing market conditions and competition, business understands it requires modernization of workplace cultures.
- green transformation supported by educational approaches
- impact of the green and digital transformations on the employability of the European workers
- digital transformation shaping EU education.
See the schedule of the event: AGENDA
Materials and presentations provided during the conference:
New Education Forum Brussels 2022 report